Creamy Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons Darigold butter
- 4 green onions, white and light green parts thinly sliced, dark green tops reserved
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¾ teaspoon dried fennel seed
- 1 can (28 oz.) plum tomatoes in juice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ cup Darigold heavy cream or Darigold half-and-half
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the sliced green onions, garlic and fennel seed and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onions are softened. Stir in the tomatoes with juice, broth, sugar, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook uncovered about 20 minutes, or until the soup has thickened. Stir in the cream and adjust seasonings if necessary. Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender, or carefully transfer to a blender in batches and blend until smooth.
Ladle the soup into bowls. Thinly slice the reserved green-onion tops and sprinkle over the soup.
RECIPE YIELD/SERVING SIZE
Makes 4 servings