- 1/2 pound Paneer (made from Darigold buttermilk)
- Ghee for deep-fat frying (made from Darigold butter)
- 2 tablespoons Darigold Plain yogurt
- 4 tablespoons ghee
- 3 small onions, peeled, chopped
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
- 1/2-inch piece fresh gingerroot, peeled, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Scant 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 minced, fresh green chiles
- 1 pound fresh spinach, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons Darigold Butter
- Water (optional)
- 1/2 cup Darigold whipping cream
Cut Paneer into 1-inch cubes; set aside. Add enough ghee to equal 1 inch in depth in skillet; heat over medium-high heat to 375ºF. Add Paneer cubes and cook until lightly golden. Remove cubes from skillet with strainer and plunge cubes into boiling water; drain after 5 minutes. Place cubes in bowl and coat with yogurt; set aside. Add 4 tablespoons ghee to 4 quart saucepan and heat over medium heat; add onion, garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, garam masala, turmeric, chile flakes and cayenne pepper and cook until onions are translucent and light pink in color. Add a little water if mixture begins to stick to pan. Stir in chopped tomatoes and minced green chiles; cook for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add spinach and salt to taste; cover and cook over medium heat 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
Place mixture in blender and blend for 5 seconds. Do not puree. Return mixture to pan and heat over medium heat; add reserved Paneer cubes and butter. Cook 10 minutes over low heat. Add water if necessary. Remove from heat; add cream and serve.
RECIPE YIELD/SERVING SIZE
Makes 8 servings. Serve with 6 cups prepared Basmati Rice.