Baked Chicken Mexican Style
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons bottled green chili salsa or taco sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 3 large chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lbs. each), split, skinned and boned
- 1/4 cup Darigold Butter
- 4-6 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup Darigold Sour Cream
- 6 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
- 1 1/2 dozen cherry tomatoes
- 1 - 2 limes cut into wedges
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
In a pan beat together egg, salsa and salt. In another pan combine breadcrumbs, chili powder, cumin, garlic salt and oregano. Dip each chicken piece into egg mixture to coat, then dip into crumb mixture; set aside.
Place butter in a large, shallow roasting or broiler pan in the oven while it is preheating to 375°. As soon as butter is melted, remove pan from oven and put in chicken pieces, turning to coat. Bake, uncovered, until chicken is done, about 35 minutes.
To serve, place chicken on a bed of shredded lettuce. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, green onion, cherry tomatoes, lime wedges and avocado. Pass extra sour cream and salsa.
RECIPE YIELD/SERVING SIZE
Makes 5-6 servings.