Orange Burst Chocolate Torte
- 5 1-oz. squares semi-sweet chocolate, cut up
- 2 1-oz. squares unsweetened chocolate, cut up
- 2/3 cup blanched almonds, finely ground
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Darigold Butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup tangerine juice OR orange juice
- 3 tablespoons orange liqueur OR orange juice
- 4 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 1-oz. squares semi-sweet chocolate, cut up
- 3 tablespoons Darigold Butter
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur or orange juice
Preheat oven to 375°. Butter and flour 9-inch cake pan. Combine two chocolates and butter in top of double boiler; place over hot water and melt. Stir in orange liqueur and remove from heat. Beat egg yolks and sugar until thickened; add chocolate and blend well. Combine flour and almonds; fold into egg mixture and add tangerine juice.
In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and salt until stiff but not dry; gently fold into batter. Pour into prepared pan and bake 20 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE. The sides should be set and the center still creamy. Cool torte 10 minutes in pan; remove to rack to cool.
For glaze, melt chocolate and butter; add orange liqueur. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate at least 3 hours, then spread glaze on cake, icing sides. Refrigerate cake 3 hours. Remove from refrigerator 1 hour before serving. Torte will cut much easier if it is at room temperature.
RECIPE YIELD/SERVING SIZE