Rustic Spinach Torta
- 3 Tbsp. Darigold butter
- 1/4 medium onion, chopped
- 2 whole scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 10-ounce packages frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed to drain
- 3 oz. very fresh mascarpone or cream cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Darigold milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 9-inch packaged pie crust doughs
Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a medium saute pan. Set 1 tablespoon aside. Add the onion and the scallions, cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent. Turn off heat. Add the spinach, cheese, milk, salt and pepper to the onion mixture. Beat the egg and add to the spinach mixture, mixing well. Note: Spinach mixture may be preparerd the day before.
Unfold pie crust dough on a flat surface. Spread spinach mixture on one pie dough, covering to within 1/2 inch of edge. For second pie dough, cut strips or cut-outs and place on top of exposed filling on first pie dough. Roll bottom edge up and over top edge. Press to seal. Crimp edge. Brush with melted remaining one tablespoon of butter. Bake, uncovered, in a 475°F oven for 20 minutes or until golden.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
RECIPE YIELD/SERVING SIZE
Makes 20 appetizers.