Brown Butter and Sturdy Herb Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Darigold unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 2 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice or sherry wine vinegar
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally until solids turn light brown. Pour off half of butterfat and reserve for another use. (Be careful to save brown bits in the pan.) Add rosemary, thyme, sage and oregano to the brown butter and cook 30 seconds. Whisk in the lemon juice until balanced flavor is achieved. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Tip: Toss with warm asparagus and grilled scallions, brush vinaigrette over halved zucchini or tomatoes and broil, or dress a warm salad of grilled pork, olives and spinach.